I sit on my cushion
considering
the vision board
I made
One year ago.
A home.
And the woods.
And the water.
And the writing.
My dreams have
always been honest.
Though at the time
I'd refused to say
where I was going.
And someone had been bitter
About my secrets.
Glue sticks and magazines
a paper tiger.
I don't look back.
I don't look at now.
I am here.
and I focus again on my unbecoming.
Memories sift upward
Like hiccups
and vomit
and sighs.
The prayers at his auntie's grave
When I asked her to save us both
From his spiraling.
Who can understand the motives of the dead?
Only later did I understand to thank her.
My eyes don't sting
My face does not burn
I do not flinch
When someone asks
if I have children.
"Nope."
"I should have known,"
I say to my friend.
"He was not mine to keep."
"Love is never wasted," she said, "especially on
a child."
I hold on to this,
When I cannot sleep.
I do not indulge
thoughts
of failure
in love.
Or careers.
Or wonder if I was too much
or all the wrong things.
No.
Hurt people, hurt people.
I am proud.
I was a mother.
I am a mother.
In every atom.
This remains.
Even if I am
alone
now
a mountain woman.
And I am
Less
alone now
a mountain woman.
I watch myself, more or less.
The way my hand lifts the coffee
to my lips.
And my bare feet rock the chair.
I sit, and empty.
Clean mountain air
lifts my winter gym-built muscles
drying out rot.
I had grown so used to the roaches
And I lived so long
sitting in someone else's shit.
Now I cannot remember who she was.
I think of the woman who said you raped her.
And how I remained ecumenical.
#MeToo
Happened After
And it's like it never happened
None of it ever happened.
Just like all the other times
It never ever happened.
The reminders are rare.
And the days smell like lavender.
And I wait for the tulips.
I don't waste my time praying
For you.
Because you will have to find
Your own faith.
There are things
Love
Cannot
Do.
And I am surprised.
To not be
The most surprised person in the room.
I am surprised.
There is nothing going wrong in my life
Even if
You never
Let me see him
To say goodbye.
Even if you
Never
Let me
See him.
To say goodbye.
Perhaps the mountain crests.
Perhaps my legs can carry me far enough,
after all.
Perhaps they already have.
The next life, I tell myself
Whether he's thirteen
Or a hundred years from now
When he plays me in chess at a coffee shop
And I don't understand his tears at first.
The way we don't remember.
All the lives we've lived before.
And I'll tell him
On that first day
That first next day
"This time will be different."
I will watch it fall apart as many times as it takes.
Until one time.
It will be different.
This time.
Next time.
It all comes.
Nothing is forever
Not me
This mountain house.
This adventure.
This time.
This chance to unbecome.
Not a time to rediscover myself.
Not a time to be more.
Or achieve.
Or plan.
Just a time to empty out.
All the things I have lugged.
Unwanted
Gallons of
Lemonade
And ancient echoes.
"I prayed to your auntie,"
I said.
"To free us from your demons. With candles and a bloody
mary and a hundred dollar bill. You had work and told
me to go ahead without you. Remember?"
And I got thrown out of the city
In a sonic boom.
"So I thought it didn't work."
"I don't hear from her anymore," you said like you
didn't care.
Also like I'd stolen your son, your peace and your dead
auntie.
"We are women," I said.
"Sometimes, that still means something," I said.
To myself.
Because you always said
Blood meant more.
And even if you don't talk to me anymore.
I hear the things you always said
In the dreams that come around 4:00 AM
When I can't tell if I'm sleeping still or awake.
Things you always said
Before we women came together.
And compared our oral histories.
And wove blankets till morning.
Crying into the weft.
I know the ancestors prayed
This generation
would be different
The ancestors prayed.
This generation would be different.
This generation.
This generation
Would change
The things
The last ones weren't brave enough to face.
I didn't confront you.
One of us did.
But,
I knew your shame would do more
Than I ever could.
I didn't confront you.
Another of us will.
Still.
One day.
And your shame when he sees you
will do more than I ever could.
Who will use my testimony?
Unwittingly?
Perhaps
To be twice as strong
As he and I knew to be?
But I needn't have that conversation
With the predetermined statements
Made vehemently
On every side.
I see myself again.
Always beginning again.
With less clutter.
And a shorter list of excuses.
I got hustled
By a New Orleans man
And I think about the money
And the dignity
And the shame
And the story of it all.
Even after I saw
That the floors were tilted
And the rooms weren't square
I tried to call it balance.
Because?
I had become
so frightened
The universe did not have enough
thread
to sew up
the holes
You made
In
My skin.
So I lied to my friends.
And I told them it was beautiful.
And I smiled for every selfie.
Because.
There was too much to hold.
For such a long time.
But I am willing to think
In terms of millennia.
If necessary.
Already now I can get my arms
Around it all
Again.
My imperfect house, dog, job.
Without a plan.
Or a person.
Or a child.
Just, me, trundling along.
This is 33, I think
Laughing at myself
For the first time.
Not too shabby.
A story or two?
It's all right.
This life is alright.
My naïveté
Blind faith
Loyalty
Like a 14 year old girl on a first date.
Actually.
Truly.
As long as you don't
need it to be
something it isn't.
This life?
Not too shabby.
Once you unbecome.
All the things.
You weren't meant to be so precious about.
Even if
You couldn't have known
At the time.
It turns out
Actually
Perhaps all along even:
There isn't anything missing.
Once you stand somewhere with some earth
Again.
This life.
Before it becomes the next life.
Holds no mistakes.
Laughing, I muse.
I even became my own mother.
When finally I learned how.
You never know.
I whisper to the ancestors.
Maybe he will, too.

No comments:
Post a Comment