I was driving down the New Orleans interstate the other day. My phone and gps had died. But I can get pretty much anywhere in the city, eventually, by memory.
I wondered at the people who had spent a lifetime here. Or anywhere.
I have a lot of cities I can get around by memory, more or less. Maybe I don't know the most direct way to get somewhere, but I can figure it out.
Because I never stay.
It's like people.
I know a lot of them. But maybe I never have to work through the stickiness of that best friend you've known for a decade or more. I slip past any conflicts with a full gas tank and an obscene amount of frequent flier miles.
What's the point in arguing? I'll see you in a year or two.
We can all point to Bandit. That's commitment!
He's a dog. Let's not forget. He's a dog. We won't be friends in twenty years either.
I like when old people tell me about their marriages. I try to imagine their roughest years. Lying in bed next to someone who feels like a stranger, or who cheated, or who drank too much for a while.
I wouldn't know.
I just leave.
And, really, I take pride in leaving. I take great pride in not staying in abusive jobs, or relationships that make me cry myself to sleep. I am proud of myself, because I feel that any woman who takes care of herself like that is a fucking radical. I am Wonder Woman each time I walk away, maybe with only the belongings I can fit in my car. I believe in myself most in the moments when I have no idea where I'll be tomorrow.
But I do wonder.
I wonder about the magic that grows.
When people fall in love a fifth time.
Understand how roots cross with ephemera and a Tuesday mood and an old t-shirt.
Look up and realize something old is new again.
I wouldn't know.
I wouldn't know.
I think maybe I'd like to.
I know that in this painful world,
love can be radical too.
Monday, July 10, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment