We do not always begin again
with the same effervescence
of the enraptured
early days
when beginnings
were not
so asymptotic.
I admit-
I demanded
restitution!
What love was this?
Bedraggled
expectations.
I cried.
interring hours for sleep,
watering cajun marshland.
but someone
held the end tables
and the carpets
and the sky.
Space between us on the cushions
Eyelids, taped open
We witness.
A fruit fly raises a leg, drinking bloodshot
We continue
on.
Not needlessly.
One of us walks the dog.
The other places meat in a pan.
so there is food
To eat
I book us a trip
Stomach digesting my ribs
And rest a cheek on his arm
He runs a bath
Silently begins my taxes
And rests his hand on my neck
While we wait
for things
we used to have
before
we needed
to begin again
Not so effervescent,
fine.
But graciously,
divinely
instructed
and sustained
On the reckoning
of ordinary kindness.
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment