He can make it up the four steps to go outside (though he does so almost entirely pulling himself up with his front two legs).
And sometimes he even runs using four feet, instead of three.
He can get on and off of the couch. But he's better at getting down.
To get up, he climbs on extra cushions. But he won't do it without a cheering squad in place. Because even though he has done it fifty times, he still doesn't seem to think he can make it. This means every time I leave the house, he is trapped on the floor, utterly devastated and unable to keep watch at the window.
As you might expect, I have late night discussions with him about self-confidence...
Still, I am struck by two things.
The first is that it has in fact been four months.
I have been changing my dog's diaper for four months. That is a really long time. Especially considering I didn't get nine months beforehand to get used to the idea.
But I'm also astounded that he is still healing, four months later. I didn't imagine I'd still *need* to give updates after so much time. But, as I am learning, this is the nature of nerve damage.
For a long time people didn't believe nerves could regenerate at all. But as long as we're talking about the nerves that go through muscles, and not something like the spinal cord, they have a proven ability and even likelihood of doing so.
According to the Columbia University Medical Center:
This growth occurs at a rate of about 1 mm per day. This translates roughly to 1 inch per month, or 1 foot per year. Once the axons regrow back into the denervated muscles, the muscles will begin to function again. During the time it takes for the axons to regrow into the muscles, a process that can take many months, or even years, the muscles will be paralyzed and will atrophy. This is an important point when dealing with peripheral nerve injuries. The healing process almost invariably requires an extensive amount of time to occur. It is important for patients not to lose hope during this time. It is vital that they participate in their exercises, keeping the affected muscles and joints flexible and ready to be used once again when the axons regrow into them.
(emphasis added).Despite this, about 50% of his professional caregivers since the accident have informed me that nerves cannot regenerate. Even his most recent physical therapist, who might otherwise be seen as an expert in his kind of case informed me on the first day that it was unlikely his nerves would regrow. I explained to her, as politely as I could, that they already had.
One inch per month? His spine to his toes is about a ten-inch trip. You can see why I am understanding more and more all of the time that this process was never meant to be done in eight weeks.
In fact, only this week, four months later, did nerves (on his right side only) fully regrow through his colon out to his anus. I never thought I'd say this as a proud mother -- but my little baby has anal reflexes again! The vet assured me only one side of the colon needs to be fully functional to achieve fecal continence. That is enough for him to control everything he needs to. (Though, since Bandit has not been using those muscles for four months... let's just say he's not climbing onto anyone's white couch without a diaper anytime soon). The left side was always more damaged than the right, so we won't know for some time if that comes back. But the point is that enough has come back for him to be fully functional, once he's had some time to adjust.
His bladder has been regaining some control again. I learned the hard way that when he's not getting his muscles stimulated by electricity, he loses his ability to control any bladder functions at all. Fortunately, he is working with a new physical therapist here who has the right equipment. And fortunately, it doesn't matter if she believes in nerve regeneration or not for it to happen.
The progress is really slow. It is. But when you look back at how he couldn't even stand up for nearly two months, let alone do something crazy like walk or get to a water dish, it's pretty amazing how far he has come. Two months after that, he is a little terror.
And I've finally had enough time to begin to adjust to the fact that my puppy is a special needs dog. I put diapers on him. And our morning routine takes an insanely long time. And I do a lot of laundry. And I try not to snuggle him any less because his rear sometimes smells like an open sewer pipe. He has been so good about putting up with diapers (most of the time), and adjusting to his new routine of morning baths-- it's a constant reminder that so much of how I respond to this is really my choice. I can make the best of it too.
And so many great things have come out of this too. Just today, a family I used to babysit for held a lemonade stand for Bandit. I think that is pretty much the most adorable show of support imaginable.

I mean, I hope I inspire half as much in my lifetime as Bandit has unwittingly inspired since his accident!
Fortunately, or not, he has no idea how important he is to so many people. He doesn't read the messages of encouragement. Nor does he know that his ongoing struggle pulls on anyone's heartstrings. Remarkably, he still gets up every day and tries again. Oblivious.
Again, I only dream of being half that awesome...
Meanwhile, the one thing everyone agrees on is that he is healing until he is not. We won't know his potential until he stops getting better.
Until then?
Nobody knows. But whatever else I have going on, I am going to listen to the Columbia Medical Center, and his fantastic vet at South Point Animal Hospital and do everything I can to keep his muscles and limbs ready for when those nerves decide to make their appearance. I can do the long haul.
But let's just all pray he gets those butt juices reigned in sooner rather than later...
Namaste.
No comments:
Post a Comment