Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Eight Weeks, And we're just getting started... More video!

Yesterday was a big day for us. At exactly 8 weeks after he was hit, Bandit got x-rays that finally gave him permission to start being rambunctious again. His right rear leg is completely healed. The bones are strong and his nerves are fully connected. He does however have an infection over the pins used to hold his right hip together. This is a normal immunologic response to having a bit of metal poking you all the time from the inside, and if it doesn't go away on it's own, can be corrected with some local anesthetic and a small surgery that snips out the metal, which he no longer needs anymore anyway.

His left side is a work in progress, as is his incontinence. We have an absolutely amazing vet, Dr. Lapham who is both a surgeon and acupuncturist, as well as being fantastic at explaining to me what is going on. I understand more about Bandit's surgery and accident now than I ever did while in Madison.

Bandit, standing on his 3 good legs.
Unfortunately, the plate in Bandit's spine has shifted. Imagine a screw through your pelvis (your entire pelvis), sideways, holding your spine next to both side of pelvic bone. That screw has shifted even more than the 4mm it had before, and unfortunately, the sharp tip of the screw, which is on his left side, is injuring him internally, particularly because he has started walking. He has a large, swollen infection on his left side by his hip.

See the pokey parts?
Unlike the right side where a quick snip can remove the offending piece... it is unlikely that they would be able to take this screw out without major surgery and major recovery. It is a screw, not a nail, so Bandit's bone has been healing into the threads of that screw for the last 2 months. And it is barely 2mm away from his spinal cord, which we'd like to keep intact... So while the screw itself might be removed entirely in some ideal scenario, that is not a choice most any surgeon would make on an animal this small.

The possibility of going in and snipping off the end of that sharp point remains, if his body continues to have a strong response to it. (You can literally feel the point of it when you touch his skin). We definitely don't want the infection to grow and then rupture internally because that could cause some major, major issues. However, snipping off that piece of metal would require real anesthesia, both because of it's difficult location, and because of the danger of him moving and severing his spinal cord in the process.

Right now, we wait and see. Best case, his body develops scar tissue around the screw tip, and that protects him from constantly stabbing himself while he walks, and the infection subsides.

Another thing I love about this vet is that while he is fully aware of the danger Bandit is in, he is also not pressuring dramatic measures. If there's a chance Bandit can heal himself, then, we will hope to see that happen first. If we can get Bandit to a functional place with absolutely no surgeries at all, that is our mutual goal.

Meanwhile, Bandit continues acupuncture both to help the nerves in his left leg and to help his incontinence. He is also in physical therapy, which helps him build muscle and regain skills he has since lost. Acupuncture is apparently one of the most effective treatments for incontinence in animals. And since one session costs less than a month of diapers... and we are looking at potentially 10 years of diapers... I've decided it's a wise investment. After two sessions, Bandit has shown some clear signs of improvement. When he first got out of the hospital, he went to the bathroom every 20 minutes or so. Even a few weeks ago, it was still about every hour. While doesn't have much control over what's happening, now he only goes to the bathroom once all night long! This is a sign of his body regaining more and more internal control. Which means two acupuncture sessions have helped him exponentially, though not yet in a way that allows him real diaper breaks.

(I mean, as far as I'm concerned, if he's sleeping in my bed, those nighttime diapers aren't going anywhere for a long while, even if he does think he can make it through the night...)

Around all of this, we have developed quite a routine. First thing in the morning, Bandit gets his nighttime diaper and onesie off and gets to play outside on his tie-out leash. This mostly means he licks himself, sits in dirt, walks about ten feet, and comes back covered in dew and wetter than when he started. He does go potty outside, but, that mostly ends up on his left leg, since he can't lift it, and anyway, he often comes in before he's done.

Then he gets dry-out time (sometimes following a bath), and eventually a diaper, as well as his morning medicines (fish oil and a joint supplement). While I meditate, he cuddles with two healing stones he picked out in Madison, and then takes his morning nap. He gets incessant poking and prodding from me throughout the day as I demand he bend his left leg and sit correctly and get to his water dish by himself. He is now mobile enough to follow me from room to room, but he only tags along after a few minutes, if it seems like I'm not coming back. And even so, sometimes he cries and asks to be carried because he gets tired quickly.

Here is a little shot of him coming down the hallway...

When I leave, he has free reign of the house, though he can safely get off furniture, but not on it, so his best outdoor views are lost to him for now. I try to only leave for 2 hours max. If he gets a dirty diaper while I'm gone, he will pretty much bite his butt off to clean it, so the main reason I don't leave him for longer periods is so that he doesn't injure any of the nerves regrowing in an area we'd both prefer were healed. Nonetheless, I am always greeted at the front door, stuffed animal in mouth, with slightly less jumping than I used to receive, but no less enthusiasm.

In the afternoons, we walk to the mailbox together. It's about 100 yards, and Bandit has yet to make it all the way there in one go. But that doesn't stop him from demanding to visit one of our neighbors with a particularly mean cat who is apparently endlessly fascinating. After I return with the mail in one arm, and usually Bandit in the other after whatever wild goose-chase he has initiated, he takes another dead-to-the-world nap.

Yesterday, he tried to chase a deer down the road instead of getting into the car for his vet appointment. The deer (and I) were both faster than him. Though perhaps not by much.

At night, he goes out one last time on his tie-out, and then gets a bedtime diaper and hopefully, by now, has eaten all of his food. I've never had to monitor his food before, but he lost 2 lbs, so I have to make sure he eats his full cup every day, and entice him with bone broth when he doesn't quite make it. He has not complained about this development.

His front half looks like a little body-builder. He can actually walk, in a vertical hand-stand, completely on his front legs. Unfortunately, his annoying mother keeps trying to get him to use his back ones more and more too.

As for me... I work from home a lot, for obvious reasons, which it turns out has fewer distractions and more comforts than just about anywhere else. Accordingly, most days, I have been a productivity machine. Who gets to take regular cuddle breaks. We are both healthier and happier than we have gotten to be in a long time, and are grateful to have more adventures ahead... I hope all of you know how much you have held both of us together in a million different ways this year. It's a beautiful world to live in where there is so much kindness and so much generosity and so much good spirit. I hope that Bandit and I can be a part of that in your lives too.

Namaste-

Sandy

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! - THIS IS FABULOUS, WHAT A JOY!!! HIS NERVES RECONNECTED!!!!!

    JOY JOY JOY

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are really, truly blessed... all those hours standing at the window in Freedom must have built up enough muscle to protect those nerves some. <3

    ReplyDelete