Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Centering Prayer Near Campus!

Today I signed up for a three-part centering prayer class that will be held January 25th-Feb 8th at the Pres House near The University Bookstore on State St. It starts with an evening of free dinner & instruction, and culminates in a semester worth of centering prayer sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you're interested in signing up you can email mary@preshouse.org .

My first experience with centering prayer was at Holy Wisdom Monastery in Middleton. After the dinnertime service, (but before dinner), we would sit in silence for fifteen or twenty minutes. Sometimes it felt like an eternity, but I really liked the social pressure of enforced silence. It's a lot easier to stay in one place at least trying to meditate when a room full of people are sitting there too. I may not be any better at meditating when other people are present, but I am better at sitting. And I think that is probably the only part that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment